Saturday 13 January 2018

Great advice


I woke up this morning more nervous than my first ride out on my own, not sure why, but I paced around the house, shaking, thinking of all the things that can go wrong with a simple bike ride, nevertheless I got my cycling gear on and the only one up at the early hour of 6.30am was my 10 year old boy, everyone else still sound asleep.  “Morning mum” he says, “morning son” I replied. “Where are you going” he asked, “I was going to go on a bike ride mate but I’m a little nervous this morning, I’m not taking my phone and I’m worried something may go wrong.

“Mum, he said, think of the time before you broke your neck and how much you enjoyed riding and I’ll tell dad to come find you if your gone too long”.  

That was just the advice I needed.  I never want my kids to feel I just gave up because it was all too hard.  I took off, ended up riding around 1h20mins & made 25kms, just enjoying what was around me taking my little mans advice.  I noticed the big rocks since been removed, my heart did skip a beat the twice I rode past it, but I reminded myself how lucky I was to even be riding at all.

I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment.  Told my daughter what I had managed, and she replied “I know Mum, Bailey woke me as soon as you left and said if she’s too long we need to look for her”. 

Although he gave me great advice he was just as worried as me (if not more) and it makes me feel good to think this is the boy I’ve raised, despite my many psychological barriers I have done a great job.  I’m hoping one day soon we will ride together so he knows why I’ve learned to love it.

Dedicated to my beautiful 10 year old son Bailey, your a champ.

Love Mum ❤️

2 comments:

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...