Sunday 17 September 2017

The Bike Accident


The morning of the 10th September 2017 wasn't that much different than any other, one thing I guess that stood out was my mood.  It was somewhat brighter than it had been for a long time.  I had completed a level 1 running coach course and looked forward to the many new things I could embark on in the future.  I remember my daughter saying as I headed to the garage to get my bike out for my long ride, "mum, you look so happy. Have a great ride won't you".  I remember saying "thank you honey I will". With that said, I shut the front door not thinking for one second my life would change (thankfully only temporarily) so drastically with that one decision.

I decided to embark on a long ride (for me just starting back I was thinking between 40-50kms) as I had a dream to enter Challenge Melbourne Half Ironman in April 2018.  Again I say a dream.  Training always helps keep the darkness away.  Lightens the darkest of days with hope.  I noticed my tyre was a little flat and for that split second I had thought what a good excuse to stay indoors but then the realisation that the symptoms of the PTSD weren't going to get any better sitting around kicked in and I pumped it up and headed off.

It was awsome, the wind in my face, the smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of people playing tennis and cricket as I flew past the clubs along the track.  This is living I thought.  I got around 10kms in and went to sip some water when it hit me that I had left the bottle freshly filled on the kitchen bench at home.  I decided to go home as there was no way I'd make another 30kms without water so that's what I did.  I took a quick toilet break, grabbed my bottle and continued back on my ride.  Didn't say anything to the kids, I'm not even sure they knew I'd come home.  Took a while to get back into it and settle in but once I did I felt that same sense of living.  That is until a magpie got me in his sights and decided I wasn't welcome on 'his' path.  Swooping again and again I honestly thought he'd never stop.  I rode and rode what felt like eternity but in fact was merely seconds until he left me alone.  I thought one final loop and that's it this ride isn't quite as relaxing as I had hoped.  I did ponder returning home then and there but looking down and seeing 30kms not 40km gave me the inspiration that I needed for the final 10kms.

I saw the lazy (I mean no disrespect) Sunday walkers, three of them taking up the entire pathway.   I went around the one on the right back onto the left side of the path and round the bend oooops.....a rock.  Actually that's an understatement it was a damn big boulder!!  Straight into it at a high speed! Flipped over the handlebars became airborne and landed headfirst on another rock.  I won't bore you with the details but heading into hospital in an ambulance then entering as a trauma patient but having PTSD presents as another whole problem in itself.  That story will be for another day.  Needless to say I fractured 2 vertebra in my neck (C6 & C7) and the first rib was also fractured.  They tell me that's one of the hardest bones to break and takes tremendous force.

No spinal cord damage.  When the nurse told me I broke my neck I thought my kids were playing a prank on me.  Maybe my partner had decided I needed a wake up call and thought he would try this to get me to pull it together.  Then I looked at her face and it was no joke.  She was dead serious.  They wanted to stop me from getting out of the bed so they told me hoping I would take it ok.  I did.  In that moment I realised what an idiot I've been.  How selfish and how I was ardenant the world owed me a damn favour!  The world owes me nothing.  I'll get back what I give and clearly I wasn't giving much.

So I've created this blog 'finally' as a way to empower myself to move forward each day. Accept things won't always go my way but also and most importantly to share the good stuff with someone.  Living with PTSD most of my life (not that I knew I had it) has meant I've led a life that's very isolated and lonely.  At times I feel extremely sad.

This blog won't always be a happy one as some days are pure hell stuck in darkness for me.  But I hope that it's real.  I am a normal person reacting normally to abnormal situations and haven't learnt coping mechanisms to defeat the PTSD YET!  that's my new favourite word.  There's no such thing as never, only yet.  So I'm YET to start back in my triathlon training as I have to undergo rehabilitation first, I only just finished from a torn hip and got my palindromic arthritis pain under control, but I vow to return by Christmas and compete in an ironman by the end of 2018!

Please excuse as no proofreading has occurred I'm too damn tired and my neck is killing me.

Until next time......due for some pain meds and rest.......

Fashionably Mental
Donna

14 comments:

  1. Inspirational as airways Donna. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. i came off my bike and broke my neck, lumbar and thoracic plus 6 ribs and a few other things April 2016 and did my first full distance 16 months later - you can do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's amazing. I know it's time, patience and baby steps. How are you doing now?

      Delete
  3. Hey there, thanks for linking on Pathetics page . . . I'll be following your journey. My disastrous race report is here. I'll be your buddy in recovery. Hang in there and don't let this stop you from doing what you love. https://halfbadass.wordpress.com/2017/09/18/when-you-have-to-write-what-you-dont-wanna-write/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend, I would LOVE a rehab body and a blog to read so thank you I shall follow your journey too and hopefully we can motivate each other. Thanks for connecting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Donna – what an epic adventure! Too bad it ended poorly for you. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to enjoy something and something out of the blue happen. And I am the total klutz in fact I broke my foot falling downstairs taking out recyclables to the garage! My husband calls me a klutz even though I try to be athletic��Hang in there I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help but laugh reading what you wrote, sorry about your foot it's really not funny that you broke it πŸ˜” Thank you for your kind words it's people like yourself that make me think it's worth keeping up the fight to get better. 😊

      Delete
  5. Donna,
    Hang in there. I am only now returning to racing again after getting hit by a car in May, on the maiden ride of my new Tri-bike. No damage even closely resembling yours but it did wash out my season. Life will slowly start returning as you heal. You will start to appreciate the little victories in things you once took for granted. While nobody can feel you pain and anguish. your family and friends will suffer with you. They will also have frustrations and anxieties alongside you. Everyone including me who you don't even know is pulling for you. The body heals fast but the head not so easily. Time will give you perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you that means a lot. It's incredible to me that people who don't even know me are rooting for me and wishing me nothing but the best. I really appreciate your kind words and I know things will get tough, that's why I started this blog. Writing for me with PTSD is very carthardic I just normally don't have an audience, now I feel I have nothing to loose 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your accident. A big part of the healing process is your overall State of Mind. Recently, on Monday September 25th, I crashed. My damage was slightly different a fragmented fracture of my clavicle, a cracked rib and a broken thumb. Irony of irony all the damage was on my right side except for my thumb, I broke my left thumb. I'm down to four usable fingers at the current moment. Just had surgery earlier this morning to fix the clavicle. I'll meet with the doctor on Monday to learn my rehab schedule, I plan on following it religiously and working as hard as possible to heal and get better and get back out riding. I hope that you will be able to do the same. Riding for me it's such a vital piece of who I am, I ride five to six days a week weather permitting. I can't imagine not being outside riding my current standard routes on a regular basis. Certainly your injuries seem more grievous than mine but I think you can do it. Put yourself in a positive mindset and know that you will get better. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Marc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marc,
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Your right it's all in the mindset. The last 2 days I have been really struggling to not feel sorry for myself. There's no excuse I'm allowed slow short walks so I should be getting out and enjoying the wonderful fresh air. 6 weeks with a neck brace really is nothing compared to the rest of my life in a wheelchair. When I'm well enough I plan on doing some voluntary work helping someone in a wheelchair because that could so easily have been me.
    Stay well my friend.
    Sorry to hear of you accident but you sound like you've got it together.
    Donna Xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Donna, I really thank you for your vulnerability and strength. I had a breakdown a year ago when I felt like the circumstances surrounding my situation left me feeling helpless, hopeless, lost and more lonely than I had experienced in a long time. Regardless of my own childhood trauma, about 11 years ago I decided I was going to make sure I did whatever was going to make me happy. As I have gotten older and experienced more, I realized that our bodies have stories to tell us which are more true than most of the stories we tell ourselves, but we have to be patient and stop long enough to hear the message(s). Over the past couple months I have really been looking at the ways I distract and avoid emotions based on how I grew up coping with my own trauma as well as how the people around me dealt with it, never speaking of it. Finally giving myself permission to get more out of life as well as the necessary purging of so many repressed emotions, I can go back and run through memories without attachment or judgement. A year ago, I needed the time off work to realize just how much I really needed to experience my emotions. I couldn’t stop crying for days and often cried multiple times a day, but I realized the more I felt my feelings, the less scared I became experiencing them which quickly turned into curiosity for the feelings that were coming up. My previous feelings of devastation, loneliness, and annihilation surrounding these emotions have been dissipating to reveal the false stories I told myself and beliefs I made about myself based on what previously saw as things that “happened to me.” Now I remind myself that experiences happen FOR ME and even THROUGH ME and when those days come that are harder to deal with than others, I ask myself “What do I know to be true in this moment?” so that I can continue to make decisions based on my truth. Thanks again for sharing. It’s funny how I came across your post while I was originally checking on a warranty on the RoadRunner Sports website. Lol
    Sylvia A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Sylvia,
      You also seem to have a gift of expressing yourself through writing. Do you have a blog by any chance or could you set up a free one like I did through google blooger? I would love to use you as a guest blogger on my blog if you would be interested. Don't need specifics about your journey but just similar to what you have written here to help and inspire others.

      If not it was beautifully written so I thank you for sharing and I hope you will now follow my blog. Please keep in touch my through my FB pages.

      Donna
      Xo

      Delete

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...