Wednesday 8 November 2017

Guest Blog by Aaron McDonough

 

What a big responsibility it is to be here.  Well, at least that's how I feel.  It's a privilege to be invited by Donna to share something with you.  I hope I do it the justice that it deserves.  To be sharing my works with such a large audience, an audience, captivated by Donna's story that continues to evolve.  A remarkable story, one that I'm sure has touched all of you in some way, including me.

We all have our peaks and troughs in life - highs that are short-lived and fade far too quickly to lows that are seemingly never ending.  I have had my fair share of both, in my personal life and sporting pursuit's.  But here I will focus on the latter.  I have competed (and coached) in many sports over a long period of time; football, cricket and athletics most of all and over a long period of time focussing on the discipline of racewalking.  To the uninitiated it's the walking event contested at the Olympics, that seems a little different and some say unnatural on the body and a little odd to the eye.  The rules are very simple, but mastering the technique is a big challenge.  A long, smooth stride at fast cadence with rhythm being the key.  Not easy when your pushing yourself to the limit and fatiguing - its a mental test as much as a physical one.  You see, racewalking is an endurance event over 20/50km but also held over shorter distances at local competitions over 2/35/10km.  Why would you be motivated to take on such a challenge?

We are all searching for the peaks.  For me it started out as a fun activity and to keep fit for better health.  So it started out as finding something I enjoyed participating in.  Racing on a regular basis sparked the competitor in me, which I believe is in everyone in some way - not necessarily sport, but other parts of life too.  Everyone likes to do well at something, to do better than they did the last time - the thing that brings joy and they excel at gives them their peaks.  So, how do I produce a better time in my next race?  What can I do to improve?  Is it racewalking technique? Is it training and preparation? Is it all of the above? In my role as coach (I have coached juniors and self coached for a long period of time) my philosophy is that improvement comes with change.  You need to set reasonable expectations of yourself - including you Donna! Change happens in small increments.

No one becomes expert or elite overnight. Yes, it helps to have natural talent to excel, but you will limit your achievements without hard work.  And this is where I need to emphasise - focus on getting the most out of yourself, as this is what you have control over.  Others will achieve more or less than you in a particular pursuit and you have to accept that you will be beaten by a better score or performance - that's just life.  In little athletics, the motto is to "be you best" why not continue that way of thinking through life?

Everyone gets knocked down at some time in their life and hits a trough.  It might be a bad performance or something beyond our control like an injury such as Donna's.  whatever situation you find yourself in, the climb back up again can seem insurmountable.  Remember, change happens in small increments.  Pace yourself.  Be prepared and expect to go two srteps forward and back one.  Life's like that, unpredictable and frustrating.  Allow yourself to feel bad and upset - you're human and that's normal.  You don't deserve this but who does?  It's not the end - it's the beginning of what comes next.  If you don't allow yourself to be determined, whatever the circumstances and struggles, you won't know what you can achieve!

Aaron McDonough

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...