Sunday 12 November 2017

First Run Back



I can't believe it's Monday already.  It's been a long weekend.  Really long, with not much sleep at all from the dreaded PTSD symptoms.  Anyway, this is not a negative post, apparently I can be pretty negative (sorry but I am actually human), so here's my take on this weekend. 

 Saturday, I completed my first 5km timed non-stop run since breaking my neck.  It's funny because I say non-stop and yet I actually stopped twice, first time was not long after we took off because my phone went flying so I had to chase after it, the second time was when my shoelace came undone.  It was like dejavu at one point.  That ride when everything went wrong and I should have just stopped and headed home.  It felt a little the same to be honest, didn't end with a bang like that ride 8 weeks ago thankfully.  

It was tough and I was incredibly slow.  Longest 34 minutes of my life.  Felt worse than starting again.  But this is where I need to find acceptance.  I have to accept I'm not the same, I'm heavier, (11kgs now that I've lost 2kgs) I'm probably less determined and more cautious with my body.  It's pointless aiming for something I know right now I can't reach, it only sets myself up for failure.  I may never run a 25min 5km or sub 1hr 10km or get back to almost 2hr sub half.  See, I was never a super athlete, just determined.  I had to prove to myself that I can achieve these things and I did.  I've had so many successes so it's completely ok to have some failures too.  

To yesterday, and I was up at 4am for my first official stint as volunteer for the yearly city to see event.  I had what I thought was a super easy job which was just to make sure if any cars entered the small lane way in between apartment buildings to let them know it's closed till 11am.  Super easy right?  Nope, bloody entertaining it was.  We encountered a lady who decided she was late to church for her fathers (she couldn't remember what it was) and that she was entitled to drive on the footpath into pedestrians and cyclists.  

She almost killed a poor unsuspecting cyclist so a man decided it was a good idea and when I told him, no a lady almost killed a cyclist driving on the footpath he exclaims, good, I hate cyclists.  Oh buddy, you are so saying that to the wrong person. Luckily the conversation ended abrubtly there.   The highlight though was seeing Jessica run her first 15kms who I am coaching and I am so very proud of her ackomplishments.  As a coach I just couldn't ask for someone nicer to write up a training plan for.  Looking forward to seeing her run her first half marathon in 2 weeks.

 Back later for a better update very tired the last 3 days. 

Donna Xo





No comments:

Post a Comment

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...