Monday 2 October 2017

The real cost of the Accident



It's rare I would post 2 blog entries in one day as it can be hard to find topics to write about but this is on my mind and making me mad so I need to write about it NOW!  Writing about it in this blog is a much healthier way of coping with it than the other things I have in mind believe me.  I sat at the table last night before dinner (it's now 3.52am) and realised I threw out most of my receipts for medicines as I just haven't been fully with it and with my son having his 16th Birthday party last weekend things were thrown out in a haste to tidy up.

So this all got me thinking, this plus all the conversations and e-mails with my local council and TAC, Melbourne Water yet to come and on and on it goes, what is the true cost of this accident going to be?  What will be the costs associated with getting me back in training on my bike, rehabilitation, strength work etc. If I am to hire professionals and do it properly as apposed to doing it myself how much will all this cost?

So, I added up what receipts I'd managed to keep for medications so far and that totalled $352.70.  Other than that there was like $40.00 (I think) in parking costs at the hospital.  So, so far we have got off pretty lightly for around $392.70.  Pretty good considering the enormity of the injuries.  So that go me thinking even further down the track as to what sort of expenses ill be looking at so here is a very rough breakdown at what I believe this accident will cost.  I obviously cant put a $ figure on the stress and emotional impact that it has had on the family as this is just too much to think of right now.

These are purely estimates and guesses as to what I may need looking forward.  I have tried to be on the cautious side and I am assuming everything goes smoothly and to plan (which we all know in the real world never happens)

Medications current and future:  $800.00
Car Park costs at hospital $100.00
Replacing the brand clothes that were cut off me in trauma bay in emergency: $290.00
Breakdown of these were 2XU Bike Pants, Long Adidas lycra pants, Nike crop top, Nike florescent T-Shirt. Most of these were purchased on clearance from Uni Hill Factory Outlet and were at reduced costs.
Helmet: This was completely ruined (the foam lining was split in two) so replacement $120.00
Bike: No idea at this stage but it is quite damaged.  I am saying its half of the cost to replace the bike as it was only 12 months old, had only been ridden a handful of times and cost well over $1,000 at full price.  Cost to repair: $500.00
physiotherapy: 4 sessions will be covered under Medicare then averaging $135.00 per visit so over 6 months stretching out the appointments as much as I can I would guess $1,080.00
It has been recommended that I get regular massage to help with muscles as they regain some strength and also for stress. I have been advised that having my legs and lower back done will help with the extra load they are carrying to support the broken neck and rib cage. I have sourced out 2 that will do it for an extremely cheap price and assuming I also stretch appointments out as much as I can and only get 1 each month (it was recommended to have 2 each week) I would be looking at
$600.00 out of pocket costs.
Pool sessions and medically guided class (1 class each week) for rehabilitation $18.90 p/w so assuming it take me the same time to heal as most others it will be 6 months $$453.60.
Personal Trainer for strength work (this is something I will only do with a qualified trainer given the boy that died this week in a gym bench pressing without a trainer and I would not be confident with my neck on my own.  2 30min sessions each week. $1,680.00.
Therapy. Up to 10 sessions per calendar year then $135.00 p/w for 6 months treating symptoms of CPTSD.  $2,700.00.

This is a total of expenses for 6 months to fix everything, replace what's broken, including my head, and remain semi pain-free (not sure that's going to be very easy).

TOTAL $7,870.00

Breaking it down to weekly costs for 6 months $302.69 Per Week out of pocket costs. 

How do I put a $ on stress, loss of income with my partner on carers leave, inability to drive for at least 6 weeks (find out more on 19th October) and the fact that I cant get my daughter to her final exams unless I spend $$$ on bus fares (around $35 p/w x 3 kids so $75.00 p/w) and the stress knowing how much extra pressure that puts on her being a 3 hour round trip to school and back.

The irony is if I walk out my front door and a car runs over my foot that is entering on the road (even if its when it shouldn't be) I am covered for my out of pocket medical costs.

How does this happen in our lucky country?

Whittlesea City Council shame on you, all I wanted was my bike fixed (max $500.00) and you made me feel guilty that (a) according to you I was travelling too fast despite there being no signage for speed recommendations or limits, warnings that there are bends and rocks 5cm off the path, not to mention the overgrowth that was on the path itself where I had the accident.

Why is this my fault when had the rock not been there, yes I still would have had the accident but without the long term horrific injuries.

No wonder I cant bloody sleep!!!!

Signing off before I literally start having angry smoke coming out my ears.

Donna xo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...