Tuesday 19 September 2017

Kindness


Day 10


I'm so tired but I think it's important I write this blog today, then I can have a long rest tomorrow.  Why is it so important that I write this blog in particular?  It's important because the last 24 hours (not even that) so many people have shown me kindness because I have opened myself up and allowed them in.  It's incredible how, when you open your heart (which of course runs a high risk of getting hurt) the kind things people (even strangers) will do for you.

I'll explain as best i can, hopefully tear free, why I'm so passionate about writing this blog in particular.  It started when I sat down to eat dinner last night. I was eating a dinner that I hadn't prepared but had been dropped into my home the day before by a mother from my sons primary school whom I've had little to with over the last 12 months particularity as my PTSD symptoms got worse.  We used to chat each night at the school gate but I stopped going into the school as facing people became too overwhelming for me.  It was better to sit in the car and let the kids make their way to me.  So even though we'd had little contact for quite some time, at best a wave as we drove past one another, she still dropped a pre-prepared dinner for the 5 of us and said little about our relationship just gave me a kiss and cuddle, wished me well and a speedy recovery and told me to let her know if there was anything else she could do.

As I'm eating this wonderful dinner, a message came through from messenger whom I recognised as a lady I had met maybe 12 months ago and had run with from a run club called DCR runners and we chatted in particular on one run where we had run together the whole time.  In her message, she asked if I was up for a walk and coffee at the end of the week and when I explained I couldn't drive, she responded with I'll come and pick you up (this is 30 mins round trip out of her way) and that another lady may want to catch up too so she would arrange for that to happen I just need to call to confirm.

As I finished that reply I decided I just couldn't bear the thought of another night in the stuffy house, bed ridden, but my partner who has type 1 diabetes has also copped a nasty cold and I didn't really want to ask him to do anymore than he had to so I decided to post in a local run club called LRC if anyone could possibly fly past and pick me up as I can't drive, again, I'm relatively new to this club and I barely know anyone's name yet and certainly haven't met many of the club members but within minutes of my post I had two offers one from someone I had met briefly once and another from a lady whom I'd never met before.  She picked me up, even asked me to let her know if driving hurt my neck so she could slow down, but assured me she'd drive as carefully as she could.

Once there, I had a complete stranger come up and introduce herself and shake my hand and tell me she's been reading my blog.  Wow! That blew me away.  They were going for coffee, so again I need a lift to the cafe and this wasn't a problem, nor was getting a lift home again which I'm surprised after I turned every conversation i heard into something it wasn't like Mel said to Kirsty make sure you have cash, I swore she said make sure you have some hash!!! Still reakon that's what she said.  Then Vula suggested Mel may want a radox bath, definitely not how I heard it, more like suggesting she have a gravox bath!!! Perhaps after they roast her!  Anyway, needless to say they have requested I get my ears checked, I've re-assured them all I'm fine, I think they could be testing the outsider they just won't admit it.  Kaz, who drove me to the cafe for coffee drove straight over the full sized curb then proceeded to laugh while apologised! Perhaps that's why I misheard all the convos.  Could have been from my brain jiggling around from her driving!  Ummm....perhaps I'll forgive them all just this once.

When I arrived home I noticed I had an unread fb messenger message and this one really pulled at my heart strings.  I won't share it as it's private and special but I can tell you it came from someone who rarely has a lot to say but when she does speak or message the words are so beautiful it reduces me to tears. I haven't cried since the accident until I read this message and it all just came flooding out.

The mere act of human kindness shown in so many different forms.  It's the middle of the night right now but at first light I plan on paying it forward by dropping a little something around to the lady who hung onto my crashed bike at her place until my partner was able to collect it and also waited right til the ambulance drove off to make sure I was going to be ok.  I must replace the hand towel that I ruin with blood stains also.



Signing off as I'm ordered to bedrest for a few days and I get very tired very quick.

Your batshit crazy blogger

Donna Xo




4 comments:

  1. You are awesome. You are amazing. You are loved. That's all. LRC Family xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tha Dalai Lama says his religion is kindness - mine too. Glad you've seen so much of it the last few days. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Today’s been one of those days, you know what I mean where you question everything and I can’t help but wonder why I’m still here, broke...